forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1924  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Joe Martin
Date:  Wed Oct 13, 1999  4:03 am
Subject:  drool

> Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 18:39:20 -0300
> From: Fernando Capovilla
> Subject: Writing vs drawing
>
> for encoding). In Japan Hatta had demonstrated
> that isolated Kanjis may be processed by the right hemisphere, but sometime
> later, in China, Tzeng demonstrated beyond doubt
> that left hemisphere fuctions are absolutely essential to permit reading
strings
> of Chinese characters. In Western science,
> Gazzaniga and co-workers had already demonstrated that the right hemisphere is
> capable of reading, but only in an ideographic
> way, that is, in a way not mediated by phonological recoding (which is an

Don't *Do this to me. Give me some references. Please please please!
[foot-stomps on floor]

I'm assuming that when kids see the signwriting symbols and reproduce the
signs that they are doing a phonological analysis, (with or without
semantic content). Which is intriguing cuz phonological awareness depends
on reading ability. (for speech anyhow)

"Ideographic reading" is like: III + IV = VII ?

Joe Martin, Plain Old Ordinary Student
Top Left Corner USA

  Message 1924  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index