forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 193  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Charles Butler
Date:  Mon May 25, 1998  10:39 am
Subject:  Re: pictograms

Joe Martin wrote:
> Here's a question that came up in one of my classes; I think I answered it,
> but I wonder what other people would say; We were looking at various
> kinds of scripts used to write the world's languages--some are alphabetic,
> logographic, sylabic,.........what is SignWriting?
> Any opinions? :-)
> Joe Martin
I guess the word to me would be cheirographic, meaning "a writing system
which denotes hand movements which are meaningful" from "cheironomy" the
medieval English word for the study of mime and gesture languages, as
opposed to a logo-graph which is a Word/Concept system like Chinese.

That's my best guess if we are looking for a "concept" name equivalent
to alphabetic, syllabic, logographic.

  Replies Author Date
196 Re: pictograms John Albert Bickford Mon  6/8/1998

  Message 193  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index