forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1936  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Oct 14, 1999  1:31 am
Subject:  Re: Dictionaries of different countries

>I donīt know much about computers , files and so forth. Hopefully we can
>find a way to send files named .dic or .din ... via email
>
>Please be so kind and support my first steps ...
>
>Thank you very much!
>
>Stefan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear SignWriting List -
I hope there are some people with dictionary files that would be willing to
share their files....

The reason for the .dic and the .din? The SignWriter Computer Program
creates two files, everytime one dictionary is started. The .dic file
stores the signs written in SignWriting. The .din stands for "dictionary
index" and stores the words, like English or German. So you need both files
to access a dictionary. You can look in your SW directory in MS-DOS, and
you will notice that each dictionary has those two files.

So...if any of you have a dictionary file that you are willing to share,
send the .dic and .din, either to Stefan or to me. In time, we could even
post dictionary files for anyone to download from our web site. That would
be a good idea.

I know that dictionary work is very detailed and difficult work, and there
are always imperfections in all dictionaries. That is why I released our
little ASL dictionary anyway - I know it is not perfect. But at least it
gives someone like Stefan something to start with...and I figure in time we
can make the dictionaries better.

So I hope to hear from some dictionary authors out there!!

Many thanks in advance, for your contributions :-)

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWritingSite...Lessons Online
https://www.SignWriting.org

SignBankSite...Databases Online
https://www.SignBank.org

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1936  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index