forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1960  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun Oct 17, 1999  9:59 pm
Subject:  Re: hand shapes

>I'm reading a phonology book, and it says a "hand configuration
>...which..does not appear in any signed languages" is one with the "index
>finger crossed over middle finger and makes pad contact with its back."
>Isn't this describing the fingerspelled [r] of Spanish Sign Language?
>Joe Martin, Plain Old Ordinary Student
>_______________________________________

October 17, 1999

Hi Joe and Everyone -

Yes...the Spanish fingerspelling is located on this page:

Spanish Fingerspelling Keyboard
https://www.SignWriting.org/fkey034.html

And it sure looks like their "R", doesn't it?!!

So - yes we have that handshape. And it does exist in some signed languages
- just not all of them! The person who was writing the book just didn't
realize the tremendous variation of handshapes used around the world.

Steve and Dianne Parkhurst are the members of our List from Spain who are
using SignWriting there, so they will know far more than I do about the use
of that handshape in Spain....

By the way, there are several other variations of the crossed fingers that
exist in other signed languages too..one is in Peruvian Sign Language - I
hope the Peruvians will send me photos in time, showing me these unusual
shapes so I can be sure to include them in the future -

And there are some unusual handshapes in Portugal too.... some which I
personally cannot do! ;-)

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWritingSite...Lessons Online
https://www.SignWriting.org

SignBankSite...Databases Online
https://www.SignBank.org

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting

1964 Re: hand shapes Valerie Sutton Mon  10/18/1999

  Message 1960  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index