forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1990  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Oct 22, 1999  3:34 am
Subject:  Re: Linguistic Translation

The last posting in this series of messages....

Joe Martin then responded:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 14:06:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joe Martin
To: Valerie Sutton
cc: Lourdes Tollette ,
Subject: Re: translation

Thank you Lourdes, for what you tell us. I think you are a true treasure.
Scientists (linguists) get credit, and respect, for work on sign language.
But all they do is use big words to say what deaf people said first. YOU
ARE THE EXPERTS. And if you didn't tell us stuff, we'd know
*nothing. People think, "oh, her grammar is not good, can't explain
clearly, she doesn't understand...needs help..." But really *we are the
ones who need help about sign language, and all we can do is hope native
signers will help us to learn. This list has some famous scientists on
it, and that is nice. But it also has you, Lourdes, and that may be
more important. You are a native user of sign language--the true
expert--who is willing to tell us how things really are. Without you we
are helpless.
So thank you for all your posts. Please don't ever feel nervous about
teaching us. And if you ever want help with the language barriers, I am
very glad to help.

_______________________________________
Joe Martin, Plain Old Ordinary Student
Top Left Corner USA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWritingSite...Lessons Online
https://www.SignWriting.org

SignBankSite...Databases Online
https://www.SignBank.org

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1990  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index