forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1988  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Oct 22, 1999  3:21 am
Subject:  Linguistic Translation

October 21, 1999

Hi Everyone!
As I already said, today was a special day.....there were several nice
things that happened. One of the special events was the "back and forth"
messages between Joe Martin, linguist, and Lourdes Tollette, who is Deaf
with native signing children. Michelle Lovinas and I were also reading
these messages, and they started becoming so interesting that I asked
permission to post them, and I did receive that permission :-)

It all started when Joe posted a message called "linguistish shtuff" on
the SignWriting List awhile back. The message was very interesting but was
written in linguistic terminology. Then Lourdes wanted to know what it
meant, and so did Michelle!

So Joe was kind enough to take several hours to try to explain it in
simpler language. He did an excellent job! Here is what he sent to us first: