forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2037  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun Oct 24, 1999  2:49 pm
Subject:  Re: From Linguistics to Animation...

>Hi Valorie and List of SW,
>
>Can you tell me if the SW will be good for deaf children to read this SW.
>What ages should we start with deaf children? I am currently work with deaf
>preschool and pre-K. The age ranges from 3 to 7 years old. I would love to
>hear any of you have had experienced to work with the youngest deaf
>children... Let me know...
>

>Michelle

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello Michelle!
That is great that you are working with young Deaf children....

I know in Denmark back in the mid-1980's, they taught SignWriting starting
at age 5-6....and they were reading complete sentences in Danish Sign
Language and the same sentences written in the Danish spoken language side
by side -they had a lot of positive experiences - so I would suggest trying
no matter what - if it is beneficial you will know quickly is my guess -

Perhaps Stefan in Germany, or Kathy Akehurst in Canada, or James
Shepard-Kegl in Nicaragua will know more about this.....I believe they are
teaching young children...I am not sure about Brazil...it may be that at
the Concordia School for the Deaf in Porto Alegre there are young children
learning it there...I am not sure...the teacher is Deaf....I can write to
her, if you would like.

If you need donated materials to teach them, you could apply to participate
in our SW Literacy Project, for the Spring semester, 2000. That application
should be written in November for me to raise the money to support your
project. Or you can purchase the materials and then you are not required to
fill out all that paper work!!

Or you can download a bunch of free stuff from our web site.... :-)

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWritingSite...Lessons Online
https://www.SignWriting.org

SignBankSite...Databases Online
https://www.SignBank.org

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 2037  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index