forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2038  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun Oct 24, 1999  8:31 pm
Subject:  New York Times Article on Nicaragua Sign Language

Sunday, October 24, 1999

Hello SignWriting List!
Today an article was published in the Sunday edition of the New York Times,
about the work done by Judy and James Shepard-Kegl, in Nicaragua. The Kegls
are members of our SignWriting List, and have used SignWriting with their
students in Nicaragua for years, translating stories and writing
dictionaries in Nicaraguan Sign Language.

The article, entitled "A Linguistic Big Bang", is about the linguistic
aspects of the work. SignWriting is shown in several photos, written on the
blackboard behind the students...and the article mentions the students
"reading Nicaraguan Sign Language". To all of our disappointment, the
editors cut the part submitted by the Kegls (to the Times writer), about
SignWriting, so the name of the system never appears in the entire
article...on the other hand, the pictures show the system, and I guess a
"picture is worth a thousand words"...anyone who knows the subject matter
can see that is SignWriting on the blackboard!

Meanwhile, the story about the "evolving-nature" of Nicaraguan Sign
Language is fascinating. If you would like to read the article, you will
find it in today's Sunday edition. There is a little magazine that is
inserted inside the paper, called the New York Times Magazine. The article
is on page 84.

Or you can access it on the web, through the New York Times web site. Here
is the information:

"A Linguistic Big Bang" For the first time in history, scholars are
witnessing the birth of a language ó a complex sign system being created
by deaf children in Nicaragua. By LAWRENCE OSBORNE Photographs by SUSAN
MEISELAS , The New York Times Magazine, October 24, 1999:
https://www.nytimes.com/library/magazine/home/19991024mag-sign-language.html
"

Have a wonderful Sunday, everyone!!

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWritingSite...Lessons Online
https://www.SignWriting.org

SignBankSite...Databases Online
https://www.SignBank.org

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 2038  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index