forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2065  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Oct 25, 1999  7:51 pm
Subject:  Re: SW-L Digest - 24 Oct 1999 to 25 Oct 1999

>I am currently receiving the digest, and I would REALLY like to encourage
>people ***not*** to post attachments to the e-mail discussion list. Not
>everyone wants every attachment, and they take time and cost money to
>download. All such postings should be sent to an ftp site, and only the
>pointer to the relevant file. I have done this myself, often, vide:
>https://www.indigo.ie/egt/standards/iso639/sign-language.html
>
>I wouldn't want to have to stop subscribing to the list, but I only want
>those attachments which I feel are relevant to me.
>
>Thanks,
>Michael Everson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Smile...I know I said I would not be online today! But I thought I would
check in to make sure all was going well...since this is such a new time
for us :-)

I had always had this dream to have email messages written in signed
languages...but maybe it is an elusive one!

Anyway, there are several solutions...

1. One is to ask people to change their mail options to:

NO MAIL

and then that person could access the Archives anytime, and read whatever
they want, and then choose to download something if they want, and then
even respond to the list right there in the Archives....That would solve
the Digest problem...just change to NO MAIL.

2. Is to use our SW Web Site for the postings - I know that Jerry offered
FTP, which was very kind of him, but for some reason I have trouble using
FTP sometimes from certain sites - it may be that my software is not up to
date and I should look into that issue...but even if that is solved...FTP
lacks the visual immediacy that a message written in a signed language
requires, so I think the NO MAIL solution, or posting visually on the web,
would be better, since both solutions are web based and more visual...

Now I know that Paul Cowley will tell me "I told you so!" because he had
already setup a web-based list for us on egroups before....but I didn't
want to run two lists...so this is my last question on this issue...if we
moved the ENTIRE sw list to an egroups web-based system, would that solve
the problem?....we would no longer be on LISTSERVE...? just a question...

Thanks for your input, Michael!

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWritingSite...Lessons Online
https://www.SignWriting.org

SignBankSite...Databases Online
https://www.SignBank.org

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 2065  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index