forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2114  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Bill Reese
Date:  Wed Oct 27, 1999  1:59 am
Subject:  Re: SW-L Digest - 24 Oct 1999 to 25 Oct 1999

Valerie,

I'm on egroups and Onelist, which is similar to egroups. I have tried to
transfer a mailing list to Onelist. On the surface it looks nice. We get a
calendar that sends out automatic notices, maintenance of the list is entirely
in the hands of the members of the list -- they can subscribe or unsubscribe
as they wish -- there's a common file area for us to share files, there's a
message archive area, an URL sharing area, and each member has the ability to
post to the whole group, like a listserv. However, we only have 25 out of 40
online members switch to the new list. Since everyone had to do it themselves
we ran into two problems:

1) they didn't do it.
2) they couldn't do it.

It's a two step process. First we register with Onelist, then we join the
"community".

Interestingly, Onelist allows attachments.

Since you are suggesting that we switch the whole listserv, you may not
encounter the problem I did in switching a mailing list. Most people here
figured out how to join this listserv and should have no problem switching to
a different form of a listserv. With Onelist, messages posted will still go
out to everyone on the list. You would only go to the Website and log on if
you want something from the site -- like a file -- or to manage the list.

You might wonder what will happen to people who only have email access to the
Internet. I've given this some thought concerning my list and I've come to
the conclusion that I could register the person myself. Onelist asks a couple
personal questions when a person joins and asks the person to pick a
password. This can be handled by anyone, really. Register for the person
using the personal information and password they provide to you. Once
registered with Onelist, a person with email only can subscribe and
unsubscribe to the list through using email addresses that Onelist has set up
for this purpose.

I haven't used egroups in awhile so I'm not sure if they have the same
abilities.

Bill Reese

Valerie Sutton wrote:

> Now I know that Paul Cowley will tell me "I told you so!" because he had
> already setup a web-based list for us on egroups before....but I didn't
> want to run two lists...so this is my last question on this issue...if we
> moved the ENTIRE sw list to an egroups web-based system, would that solve
> the problem?....we would no longer be on LISTSERVE...? just a question...
>
> Thanks for your input, Michael!
>
> Val ;-)
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Valerie Sutton
>

> SignWritingSite...Lessons Online
> https://www.SignWriting.org
>
> SignBankSite...Databases Online
> https://www.SignBank.org
>
> Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting
> Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Replies Author Date
2115 We are not moving anywhere :-)))) Valerie Sutton Wed  10/27/1999

  Message 2114  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index