forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2115  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Oct 27, 1999  2:20 am
Subject:  We are not moving anywhere :-))))

>Since you are suggesting that we switch the whole listserv, you may not
>encounter the problem I did in switching a mailing list. Most people here
>figured out how to join this listserv and should have no problem switching to
>a different form of a listserv. With Onelist, messages posted will still go
>out to everyone on the list. You would only go to the Website and log on if
>you want something from the site -- like a file -- or to manage the list.

>Bill Reese

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you so much, Bill, for your thoughtful message and the excellent
information.

Actually, I don't want to move the SW List!!

You are right, I did "wring my hands and worry" in the email message you
read - and I can certainly see how it made you think we were moving!

But actually, I think we are working things out now...at least I hope so.
And I love the gift that Paul Cowley has given us...the SW List means the
world to me. And I am really impressed with LISTSERVE software, when you
consider some of the problems you mentioned in your message, about
web-based email groups.

Did you know that our SW List Archive is on egroups?

SignWriting List Archive
https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l/

So we actually have a combination of both worlds the way we are...we have
the LISTSERVE software giving us the SignWriting List, but the Archive
feels like a "web-based" email system - and so really - we have both worlds!

I started to realize that, when the DIGEST issue came up - accessing the
Archives with the NO MAIL option is almost exactly like being a member of a
web-based list.

So no...we are not moving...just changing!!

And by the way - you certainly are right about the problems of moving a
List...Paul Cowley and I can attest to that one! We had an awful transition
from my private list of 500 names to the SW List we are on now - and we
lost a lot of people...for sure...

So NO moving please :-)))

Many thanks again for explaining the world of web-based Lists, Bill - it
was interesting to read about it :-)

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWritingSite...Lessons Online
https://www.SignWriting.org

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 2115  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index