forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2167  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Oct 27, 1999  9:02 pm
Subject:  FTP versus Web-Archive....

>>This will bring SignWriting .GIF's inside your email messages!
>
>This only works if you are using the commercial version of Eudora, not the
>free version Eudora Light. (I use this because we localized it into Irish
>Gaelic.)
>
>For me, downloading the gifs and jpgs via mail takes time, which costs. An
>FTP site would be much more user friendly, for me, at least. But that's why
>I want to put SW into the Universal Character Set, so real text can be
>interchanged, not pictures.
>
>--
>Michael Everson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Michael!
How wonderful that you have placed Eudora Light in Gaelic - that is quite
an accomplishment :-)

And thanks for telling me that Eurdora Pro can place pictures inside of
email messages, but not Eudora Light - good information!

I know you prefer FTP sites. May I ask, what is the difference between a
web site and an FTP site? I "ftp" my files to my web site all the time, but
when it comes to downloading files from FTP I have had trouble in the past.
I still have trouble downloading some FTP files from Jerry Spillman's page.
Because of these issues, I have always preferred web pages.

So I thought the Archives on the Web would be your solution...and there
would be no downloading at all, since the NO MAIL feature would get rid of
that - You would visit the web Archive when you want to read messages and
respond to them from the web...would that not work as well as FTP?

You see, our messages from the SW List are automatically archived on the
web, so there is no extra step - we don't have to hand the files to Jerry
to create an FTP site - the messages are placed on the web automatically
for us in the Archive - it is easier that way - with immediate
accessibility....and Jerry will not be pressured either...the web Archive
is wonderful, really.

I can't wait for the day, when we will all be able to type SignWriting
messages directly in email messages! That is our dream, and you are helping
us fulfill it...to have SignWriting symbols considered "text" and not
"graphics" is the ultimate goal, for sure...but that will take awhile
before that happens....so for now, we play with .GIF's :-))))

SignWritingSite...Lessons Online
https://www.SignWriting.org

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 2167  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index