forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2246  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Bill Reese
Date:  Tue Nov 9, 1999  3:31 pm
Subject:  Re: Axial stationary movement "Reverse, opposite"

Stefan,

"I hate to say this..." is an expression. What it means is something like, "I
know this is off-topic," or, "This may be distracting," or even, "I hope I'm not
intruding." It could also be a bit critical, like, "This might not work if
people see something that is not what we are attempting to show." Made me think
that Chinese and other "character" languages may have evolved from very pictoral
to thier present day forms in part from a need to clear up such things. I don't
know if Sign Writing is open to such transition but it's certainly a
possibility. If it survives, adapts and comes into widespread use, if could
become vastly different in the far future.

I'd like to think that the work being done now is the basic form of this written
language and all of this communication and sign writing construction going on
right now will continue to evolve it. Can't wait to see what it looks like 10
years from now. :-)

Bill Reese