forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2332  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Mark Penner
Date:  Tue Nov 16, 1999  12:50 pm
Subject:  Re: JSL vs. TSL "Reverse, opposite"

At 23:25 11/07/1999 GMT, you wrote:
> Mark and All -
> It's interesting to see how SW allows us to compare signs
> cross-linguistically. TSL and JSL "opposite" are historically related, from
> the same root, i.e. they are "cognates". The movement in JSL is much more
> involved than in TSL. All of the circular movement is gone in TSL, and all
> we have is a simple back-of-fingers contact. Note the GIF.
> - Wayne

Wayne, A bit late, sorry, I've been out of the e-mail loop for a while, but
you should know that the TSL sign, as you wrote it, is also in use in
Japan. It has more of an "against" feeling to it, whereas the one I
described is more like "totally reversed".

It is fun to compare.

Mark

Mark Penner
Tokyo, Japan

  Message 2332  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index