forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2596  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Therese Shellabarger
Date:  Fri Jan 21, 2000  4:07 am
Subject:  Re: Question About American Sign Language....

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:02:33 -0800, Valerie Sutton
wrote:
>Here is a recent question from one of the private messages:
>
>QUESTION:
>"Perhaps you can answer a question for me. You seem to have a lot of
>interest expressed in SW from foreign teachers. I assume that they are
>applying your methods to their own sign language and that ASL is not
>practiced in such countries. My question is: Is ASL used in any country
>other than our own and if English is not their language do they translate the
>ASL signs using words of their own language. I think the answer to both
>parts of this question is no, but I would like to have the opinion of an
>expert."
>
>ANSWER:
>Hmmmm...I bet there are a lot of people on the SW List who are more
>expert on the subject of ASL than I am.
>
>I hope people will write to tell us what countries use ASL...

I have heard that many missionaries to other countries in the past would
export ASL to use when their work involved teaching Deaf children or
adults, such as in setting up schools. I have heard in particular there are
schools in Mexico that teach in ASL. The trend more recently seems to be
respect and encouragement of indigenous sign languages and signs to develop
sign language of that country (such as we see happening in S. American
countries), but ASL, like English, seems to have spread around the world to
a great degree.

--
Therese Shellabarger -
https://www.concentric.net/~tlshell/ Shalom chaverot!

  Message 2596  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index