forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2627  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann
Date:  Thu Jan 27, 2000  10:17 pm
Subject:  Re: Tips on How To Edit SignWriting

Dear Valerie,

this is great! I learn so much from your feed-back.
Of course I had #2 in mind, when I wrote the sign.

I used it in connection with " to switch the light off "

So in order to avoid guessing there is no way to write the same thing (#2)
with dots ? Is that right?

I myself feel much mor comfortable with start - and endposition.

Thank you very much for your support. Im going to explain this message to
my pupils tomorrow!!

(Nevertheless Irina understood without any hesitation she went to the door
and switched the light off ! She smiled !! We are so happy to learn to use
skills of young first class students which were unknown before !!! They can
read complex messages !! Today I offered several messages and orders in DGS
- it worked much better indeed!!)

Stefan ;-)

>From: Valerie Sutton
>To: SignWriting List
>Subject: Re: Tips on How To Edit SignWriting
>Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 08:44:16 -0800
>
>SignWriting List
>January 27, 2000
>
>Number 1 in the attached file was the way the sign was written in the
>original document. There is nothing wrong with the sign...it is
>written with the assumption that the reader knows the language. So I
>have written three other possible signs to the right...all of them
>showing how a foreigner could interpret the assumptions....
>
>1. The original sign shows the five handshape, palm to floor, with a
>"squeeze motion", a bend from the middle joint.
>
>2. It could mean this: The squeeze motion could finish in a fist.
>
>3. It could mean this: The squeeze motion could finish with a
>claw...all five fingers bent at the middle joint.
>
>4. It could mean this: The squeeze motion only for the middle finger
>where the dot was located.
>
>So you can see that the dots "assume knowledge", and just as long as
>the writer realizes that others will have to guess as to how the sign
>finishes, it is OK.
>
>To avoid guessing, write the second position of course!
><< _less026.gif >>
><< less026.gif >>

  Replies Author Date
2680 single and double finger movements Valerie Sutton Thu  2/3/2000

  Message 2627  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index