forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2627  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann
Date:  Thu Jan 27, 2000  10:17 pm
Subject:  Re: Tips on How To Edit SignWriting

Dear Valerie,

this is great! I learn so much from your feed-back.
Of course I had #2 in mind, when I wrote the sign.

I used it in connection with " to switch the light off "

So in order to avoid guessing there is no way to write the same thing (#2)
with dots ? Is that right?

I myself feel much mor comfortable with start - and endposition.

Thank you very much for your support. I´m going to explain this message to
my pupils tomorrow!!

(Nevertheless Irina understood without any hesitation she went to the door
and switched the light off ! She smiled !! We are so happy to learn to use
skills of young first class students which were unknown before !!! They can
read complex messages !! Today I offered several messages and orders in DGS
- it worked much better indeed!!)

Stefan ;-)

>From: Valerie Sutton
>To: SignWriting List
>Subject: Re: Tips on How To Edit SignWriting
>Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 08:44:16 -0800
>
>SignWriting List
>January 27, 2000
>
>Number 1 in the attached file was the way the sign was written in the
>original document. There is nothing wrong with the sign...it is
>written with the assumption that the reader knows the language. So I
>have written three other possible signs to the right...all of them
>showing how a foreigner could interpret the assumptions....
>
>1. The original sign shows the five handshape, palm to floor, with a
>"squeeze motion", a bend from the middle joint.
>
>2. It could mean this: The squeeze motion could finish in a fist.
>
>3. It could mean this: The squeeze motion could finish with a
>claw...all five fingers bent at the middle joint.
>
>4. It could mean this: The squeeze motion only for the middle finger
>where the dot was located.
>
>So you can see that the dots "assume knowledge", and just as long as
>the writer realizes that others will have to guess as to how the sign
>finishes, it is OK.
>
>To avoid guessing, write the second position of course!
><< _less026.gif >>
><< less026.gif >>

  Replies Author Date
2680 single and double finger movements Valerie Sutton Thu  2/3/2000

  Message 2627  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index