forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2748  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Feb 8, 2000  2:26 pm
Subject:  "What is your name?" in ASL

At 3:44 PM -0600 2/7/00, Stuart Thiessen wrote:

>P.S. I have attached a GIF since you have also requested that.
>This is probably one way out of several for asking this question.
>Also, I took these from the dictionary and believe the facial and
>movements are what I am intending them to mean.

--------------------------------------

SignWriting List
February 8, 2000

Excellent job, Stuart! Thanks for doing the .GIF...I really appreciate it....

And you wrote the sentence "What is your name?" in ASL exactly the
way I would have written it. There is only one small difference,
which I have attached.

Through experience writing a lot of ASL, we determined that there is
a slight pause before the "what". It is as if the "your name" is
established in space, marking it with a tiny pause at the end. Then
the question "what" and the question mark at the end follows...

So the pause (equivalent to a comma in English) is the only
difference between our two writings ;-)
Attachment
less033.gif
Type: image/gif

  Message 2748  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index