forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2807  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Feb 12, 2000  4:56 am
Subject:  "not enough memory to start SignWriter"

SignWriting List
February 11, 2000

QUESTION: I installed SignWriter properly, and I have several
gigabytes of hard disk space, but when I try to start SignWriter, I
receive this message:

"not enough memory to open SignWriter"

How could I not have enough memory?

ANSWER: You have plenty of hard drive space. That is not the problem.

The problem lies with "accessing the internal memory".

SignWriter is an old program that it is based on the IBM's original
640K memory model. Of that 640K, SW uses most of it, so if your DOS
system is set up in a way to load extra software into the low 640K
memory, SW will not have enough memory to start. It doesn't matter
how many megabytes of extra memory you have, because SW can't access
it.

The solution (if there is one) is to make sure that the low 640K of
IBM memory is free and clear, containing nothing but DOS and SW.

Sometimes networking software uses the low memory, and when that
happens, you cannot run SignWriter on that machine...SignWriter was
made for a less complicated world ;-)