forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2850  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Feb 17, 2000  3:58 pm
Subject:  Re: Shorthand

On 2/2/00, Cecilia Flood wrote:
> I've guided the lessons so that there would be opportunities to do SW
>'writing' by hand and SW typing on the computer. Most of the kids have a
>pretty strong preference to use the computers but they do 'handwriting'
>too. One classroom teacher has mentioned several times that handwritten
>SW appears now and then during English spelling activities.

>It's too soon to predict whether these students will deem SW practical
>for their life's literacy needs...but when they take even the smallest
>initiatives to 'write' the signs they have seen in both the SW books and
>on the computer monitors it warrants some attention.

-----------------------------------

SignWriting List
February 17, 2000

Thanks for this great message, Cecilia....I just want to make one
comment ....that handwriting is a natural evolution from reading a
lot of literature...of course none of us always have a computer or a
typewriter with us....so when a person REALLY wants to write
something by hand, they will find a way...I bet that is the way that
handwriting developed for spoken languages too...just out of
necessity...so it appears the same process occurs for Deaf children
writing signs too...rather than forcing them to learn to write by
hand quickly...letting it "just happen" naturally -it will be
interesting to follow how their skills develop....

I believe some of Kathy Akehurst's Deaf students are starting to
write some by hand too...