forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2873  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Feb 21, 2000  8:16 pm
Subject:  Deaf Teachers on SignWriting Videos ;-)

On 2/21/00, Ingrid wrote:
>Upon starting the video, the kids reacted first, not to the
>SignWriting, but to the `human interest factor'. E.g. where do the
>presenters come from? Where are their clothes from? (and a
>discussion between their clothes and ours in SA), Are the presenters
>Deaf? (and a discussion on the fact that the kids think that Cindy
>doesn't look `Deaf' but Kevin does -- which ensued in a fascinating
>discussion on my trying to find out what `looks Deaf' and what
>doesn't!!! -- a mind boggling topic in its own right! Nothing
>concrete could be found but just that there was a 'look' -- does
>anyone want to pick up on this?)

February 21, 2000

Hello Ingrid and Deaf Students!

Yes...both teachers on the SignWriting videos are born into Deaf
families, and both are profoundly Deaf.

Lucinda O'Grady Batch has two sisters, a father and mother who are
all Deaf, and Kevin the same! Kevin also has several uncles and
cousins who are Deaf too...so he is "several generations Deaf".
Neither use hearing aids, because both are Deaf in a way that hearing
aids do not work...

Lucinda is married to a hearing man, with two beautiful hearing
boys..who are young but growing so fast!! ;-)

Both Lucinda (whom we call Cindy) and Kevin are on the SignWriting
List, so I hope they will respond...but I also know how terribly busy
they both are, so if they do not have the time, here is information
about both of them:

Lucinda O'Grady Batch
https://www.SignWriting.org/deaf002.html

Born Deaf into an all Deaf family, native ASL signer. Grew up in a
residential school for the Deaf in New Jersey. Worked full-time at
Salk Institute in signed language research until 1990, and now works
part-time there. Teaches ASL classes. Lucinda was the first Deaf
person hired to work with SignWriting back in 1981. Coordinated the
Deaf Action Committee with Valerie Sutton in La Jolla, California,
from 1986-1988, and became DAC Coordinator, working with Deaf DAC
staff members, from 1988-1995. Lucinda taught SignWriting on the
Lessons In SignWriting Video Series with Kevin Clark, in 1995. The
videos were shown on the KTV Cable network in 1996.

Kevin Clark
https://www.SignWriting.org/deaf011.html
https://www.SignWriting.org/gally01.html

Born Deaf into an all Deaf family, native ASL signer. Kevin grew up
with his sister, Darline Clark, in the Missouri School for the Deaf,
a residential school in Fulton, Missouri. Graduated from Gallaudet
University in Washington DC with a major in Psychology in 1993.
Worked full-time at Salk Institute in research, and part-time as a
SignWriting instructor for the DAC from 1994-1998. Kevin is now
working towards a graduate degree in Deaf Education at California
State University of Northridge (CSUN). Kevin taught SignWriting on
the Lessons In SignWriting Video Series with Lucinda Batch, in 1995.
The videos were shown on the KTV Cable network in 1996.

In regards to their clothes - smile -!!! I remember living in
Denmark and noticing that clothes from the USA look different than
clothes from other countries, like Denmark - and now I can see that
is true in South Africa too!!

Perhaps it is the cut of the clothes? Or the fabrics used? Who knows?
But there is a subtle difference - your students are right!!

I will answer more questions later, Ingrid - Thanks once again for
the terrific feedback -