forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2898  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stuart Thiessen
Date:  Wed Feb 23, 2000  4:02 pm
Subject:  Re: Writing Songs

Valerie Sutton wrote:

> SignWriting List
> February 21, 2000

> So yes...you can write anything that moves...so why not try? Choose
> one signed version of a song, and we can write it with counts to the
> music if you wish - or counts to an inner rhythm...we can record
> group dances where one signer signs one thing on one side of the
> stage, and we can record another person signing something else
> simultanously and we can record how their movements intertwine under
> the counts to the music.

Ok, for starters, here are two questions ...

1) How do you record the "beat" or "rhythm" of the song on the sheet?

2) How do you record the "elongation" of a sign? For example, there are
occasions in hearing songs where the word LORD is held for 4 beats. If it
meshes with the ASL translation, I tend to slow the sign down so that it
starts at the shoulder when they begin to sing the word and it arrives at
the waist when they finish the word (or somewhat before if it won't work to
hold it out that long). This is true of other signs and situations.

Thanks,

Stuart

  Replies Author Date
2946 Re: Writing Songs Valerie Sutton Wed  3/1/2000
2947 Re: Writing Songs Valerie Sutton Wed  3/1/2000
2948 Re: Writing Songs Valerie Sutton Wed  3/1/2000
2950 Re: Writing Songs Valerie Sutton Wed  3/1/2000
2952 Last message about writing songs ;-) Valerie Sutton Wed  3/1/2000

  Message 2898  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index