forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2899  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Feb 23, 2000  5:03 pm
Subject:  Comparing Stokoe with SignWriting

>Happy birthday Valerie,
>You have certainly been a pioneer in my life.
>
>Charles

-----------------------------------

SignWriting List
February 23, 2000

Thanks Charles and everyone...I have just completed the first-draft
posting of a 28-page article that Joe Martin wrote, comparing
SignWriting with Stokoe Notation.

Joe and I are not done, because we still have to do the final editing ...

And of course, when we finish the final editing then I will announce
it to the SignWriting List...I have no idea when that will be...

Joe did an EXCELLENT job comparing the two systems...I am really
impressed with his article...

Obviously I read it well, and I must tell you that Stokoe Notation
does not appear to be designed for writing children's stories in
signed languages.. it was not designed to be read as "true Sign
literature" for everyday people -

There seems to be no facial expressions in Stokoe Notation - I am
really surprised!

So the comparisons people make between the systems really are
incorrect - the goals of the two systems are not the same....one
based on the linguistic traditions of the past, and one for daily use
by signers that is growing and expanding daily...

Just wanted to share my thoughts with all of you - Now that Joe and I
are almost done with the comparison, I want to get back to working on
Sign Language Literature and moving forward with our new work....

So that is what I have been up to!

One of our DAC members has a brand new baby!! I am so excited and
this afternoon I will be meeting this darling little girl..new to the
world!

Life is filled with miracles!