forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2980  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Mar 3, 2000  8:01 pm
Subject:  Re: Further News from South Africa

On 3/2/00, INGRID FOGGITT wrote:
>Apologies for taking so long to give some further feedback. Things
>have become very involved with the SignWriting. As you know, I am
>teaching secondary school kids SignWriting and we are in the process
>of `translating' basic signs to South African Sign Language (SASL).
>Many ASL signs are similar to SASL which does make the process
>easier. The kids are not yet able to write `comfortably' in the
>sense that they can write a letter with ease and with speed.

---------------------------------

SignWriting List
March 3, 2000

Ingrid - This is so gratifying.

To give everyone a perspective on the speed that this is happening...

I mailed SignWriting materials to South Africa on February 8th. They
received the box two weeks later.

Then Ingrid showed the students the first SignWriting video on February 21st...

Now, ten days later, Ingrid tells us that they are already
translating signs...that is amazing!

And to learn to write comfortably in any written language usually
takes years...so just know that there is no rush...

Some will learn to write faster than others, but the most important
thing right now is to learn to read....

I am still printing our textbooks page by page myself. I just
completed some copies of the Lessons In SignWriting Textbook, and I
plan to mail you one copy today, Ingrid - The textbook ought to be
helpful to you, for reference.

You can also read excerpts from the textbook online:

SignWriting Lessons Online
https://www.SignWriting.org/sw130.html

So I will mail you the book today!

Thank you so much for the feedback....

  Message 2980  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index