forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3015  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Mar 7, 2000  9:42 pm
Subject:  Re: curved movement - forward and down

SignWriting List
March 7, 2000

Thank you everyone, for all your messages, which clearly are too much
for me to handle right now...I feel fortunate enough to answer one a
day! ;-)

But I can feel the misery people feel when they do not get an answer
quickly...so let me explain that the Lessons In SignWriting Textbook
has a limited symbol set - I was hoping back at the time it was
written that we might be able to eliminate some of the symbols in
SignWriting...of course all the symbols are always in the larger
general Movement Writing system...but I thought maybe we could "hone
down" (make smaller) the number of symbols in SignWriting. So the
curved arrows that Stefan is talking about was one set of symbols
that were taken out of the Lessons In SignWriting textbook for that
reason.

Now years later, I am finding that others in several different
countries, feel those symbols are very important and are teaching
them! So the symbols are needed and need to be put into the next
version of the textbook.

Steve and Dianne Parkhurst clearly demonstrated this by teaching
these symbols themselves in their new textbooks in Spain, and at the
National Technical Institute for the Deaf, they are still using them
since I introduced them in 1979.

So you can see that we have a very LARGE system, and it is not an
issue "do we have the symbols?"...we have them....the issue is "Which
symbols can we do without?" and instead of trying to solve that, I
think it will be better for us to have the entire system in one large
reference book in the future, and we can leave it to future
generations to decide what symbols are needed, and what symbols are
not needed.

Therefore, if you cannot find a symbol you need in the current
version of the Lessons In SignWriting Textbook, then look here on the
web:

SIGNWRITING E-LESSONS DIRECTORY
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/less.html

and you will find the curved arrows you are looking for:

MOVEMENT
Question 0022: Curved Arrows Front Wall Plane
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/less011.html

Question 0025: Curved Arrows Floor Plane
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/less012.html

Question 0028: Curved Arrows Side Wall Plane
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/less013.html

Question 0023: Circles Front Wall Plane
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/less011.html

Question 0026: Circles Floor Plane
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/less012.html

Question 0029: Circles Side Wall Plane
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/less013.html

The answer to your question, Stefan, is question number 0028 above.

Those arrows are on the same key in SignWriter 4.3 as the straight
arrows you chose, which are not curves but straight. So take a look
at question 0028 in the E-Lessons and try to write the German sign
for "WOLF" again -

Best -

Val ;-)

  Message 3015  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index