forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3054  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Sat Mar 11, 2000  2:25 pm
Subject:  Re: SignWriting as a gateway?

I'm always struck by the similarities between Deaf ed and
bilingual ed, and this discussion is no exception.

As I see it, there's enough pressure on Deaf kids to learn to read
and write English, and will be for the forseeable future. We don't need
to worry about them; they'll do what they can to pick it up because they
see the economic value in it. Perhaps those folks on the list who have
_been_ Deaf kids can confirm or deny this.

There's also something called a negotiating position. I get the
impression that there are a lot of school administrators out there who
don't want to see any writing system but English taught. If we go all out
and advocate learning written sign k-12, we may get something more like
what we'd settle for (say a few years in elementary school). If we argue
for what we'd settle for, we may get only half that. Let's not do the
administrators' arguing for them!

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Message 3054  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index