forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3077  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Susanne Bentele
Date:  Tue Mar 14, 2000  6:59 am
Subject:  Re: (just a brief progress report, and a "PS-question-idea")

Fernando Capovilla wrote:
>This brief message is just to let you know that we have decided to include
>a new
>item in our BrSL dictionary (in addition to the already finished
>glosses-definitions-morphology descriptions in Portuguese, BrSL SW, real-life
>illustrations of both BrSL sign meaning and BrSL sign morphology): English
>glosses.
>
>The purpose is twofold:
>
>1) helping Brazilian deaf kids to use BrSL not only as a bridge for expanding
>their Portuguese vocabulary, but also as a bridge for creating their own
>English
>vocabulary as well;
>
>2) helping English-reading scholars and researchers who may be interested
>in BrSL
>learn something of it, and start doing comparative research on it (thus
>helping us
>Brazilian scholars and researchers with their knowledge and expertise).

Hello Fernando,
I can see the point why you want to include English glosses into your
BrSLDict, especially the second one (we added an English foreword and
English explanations of our research in the technical dictionary of joinery
here in Hamburg for the same reason). But do you really think mere glosses
can help Brazilian kids to expand their knowledge of English? Maybe it
depends on the definition of a gloss... but I'd imagine this rather
improbable. I do not know how your dictionary is built, I imagine there are
also explanations of what the Portugese words mean (like in the BSL-English
Dictionary for example). Then it is a great help for learning Portugese -
but just an English gloss? For me a gloss is just a label for a sign, not
necessarily a proper translation. More like a mnemonic aid... I feel this
just wouldn't be enough.

Maybe the SW-List is not the right place for this kind of discussion, but
as there are a lot of teachers for the deaf on the list I'd like to ask
wheather other teachers (I myself are not a teacher!) think this feasible.

Thanx much,
Susanne

Susanne Bentele
Institut fuer Deutsche Gebaerdensprache und Kommunikation Gehoerloser
Universitaet Hamburg
Binderstr. 34
20146 Hamburg
Tel: ++49 40 428 38 6734
Fax: ++49 40 428 38 6109

https://www.sign-lang.uni-hamburg.de/tlex

  Replies Author Date
3115 Re: (just a brief progress report, and a "PS-ques Valerie Sutton Thu  3/16/2000

  Message 3077  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index