forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3095  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Hope Hurlbut
Date:  Wed Mar 15, 2000  1:46 am
Subject:  Re[2]: SignWriting as a gateway?

To: Donald Grushkin
From: Hope Hurlbut

I read your note to the SW list with interest.

As you probably know there have been many studies done which show that
children learn best in their Mother Tongue first. Other languages can
be added later. I think it is the same for the Deaf children. If
they become comfortable and fluent in SW then they will be better
prepared to spend time learning English or French or whatever the
national language of their country is.

It is not a waste of time to learn SW, but from the testimonies on the
list, it seems that the children get really turned on to learning SW.
Hopefully this enthusiasm can gradually be channelled into learning
other languages as well. Of course something new like this does take
time and commitment, but the results will be worth it.