forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3633  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun Jun 25, 2000  7:37 pm
Subject:  SignWriting can inspire speech....

On 3/15/00, Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
>There is no way to prevent the pupils from wanting to learn German writing
>and speaking!! Donīt worry about that. Donīt feel unsecure or frightened
>whatsoever - my first class friends are developing in such a speed - they
>love to read new SW- symbols . They feel comfortable to know very quickly
>what a special new German word means.
>
>We are practicing a very powerfull bilingual way of teaching. New names -
>new SW - symbols - efforts to get them written in German and to get them
>articulated in German . The way we use it - there is no competition!!
>Itīs even more. The kids manage to read with their eyes a special short
>sentence - or question - (kind of: where is the blue car? "
>written in DGS with SW
>and at the same moment they are able to speak out loud this sentence in
>perfect German.

SignWriting List
June 25, 2000

While Amy and I were discussing SpeechWriting, SignWriting and Cued
Speech, I remembered a wonderful message from Stefan in Germany,
about how learning SignWriting had actually inspired some Deaf
students to speak German words...

I found his message on March 15, 2000...an excerpt is above...

Thank you, Stefan, for sharing this with us.

I had NO idea that SignWriting would stimulate speech in some Deaf
students, so of course I was so happy to read this....

https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

  Message 3633  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index