forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3122  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann
Date:  Wed Mar 15, 2000  9:42 pm
Subject:  Re: (just a brief progress report, and a "PS-question-idea")

>From: Valerie Sutton
>To: SignWriting List
>Subject: Re: (just a brief progress report, and a "PS-question-idea")
>Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 22:40:25 -0800
>
>At 10:05 PM -0300 3/13/00, Fernando Capovilla wrote:
>
>>Once a relatively large SW lexicon in BrSL is established, we may
>>try to join our
>>brilliant colleagues in the SW list, and start doing what they are
>>proposing (and
>>already doing themselves): using SW to write lessons (in our case,
>>lessons written
>>in BrSL) about the grammar of a written-language (in our case Portuguese).
>
>--------------------------------------
>
>SignWriting List
>March 14, 2000
>
>Hi Fernando -
>That is a very interesting idea about teaching Portuguese grammar to
>Deaf people in Brazil, by writing the lesson in Brazilian Sign
>Language in SignWriting...
>
>I know of no equivalent here in the USA - I would be very interested
>to know if anyone has done that?
>
>We do have a couple of grammar lessons about American Sign Language
>grammar, written in American Sign Language..."so they are lessons
>about ASL taught in ASL and written in ASL"...but I have never seen a
>lesson in English grammar, taught and written in ASL...
>
>To record a Deaf person teaching grammar, while signing in ASL - is
>an advanced "movement writing" document. The SignWriting is rich with
>body shifts and facial expressions...so developing the written
>lessons would take time.
>
>I know that Ingvild Roald in Norway has been teaching physics to Deaf
>students in Norwegian signs, using SignWriting...so that is an
>example of another subject being taught...

Hi Valerie,

just a short note. We started to translate the first few pages of a
autocycle -driver licence course using GebaerdenSchrift and the pupils of
the 7th grade are able to understand much better what is meant. In addition
to that - now they start to learn all the specific terms they need for the
test in both languages - simply great !