forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3245  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Apr 20, 2000  1:25 pm
Subject:  Re: More wonderful features with .PDF!

At 6:42 PM -0400 4/19/00, Angus B. Grieve-Smith wrote:

> I'd be happy to answer people's questions about this
>conversion. Let me know as soon as there are problems or questions.

SignWriting List
April 20, 2000

Thank you, Angus! You are really helping us...

I would like to comment one last time in regards to Adobe and the
development of PostScript....

As computers and the internet have spread, I have noticed a lot of
anger expressed from individuals towards the big corporations, such
as Microsoft, Apple and Adobe. But you see, not all big corporations
are the same, nor are the people who run them....

It is really no different than people who used to equate the Stokoe
system with Sutton SignWriting.

People used to assume that because Stokoe's system does not write
facial expressions, that SignWriting didn't either! Nothing could be
further from the truth...

And so it is, comparing Microsoft, Apple and Adobe...

All three companies have given lots of people jobs, and have changed
the world....

But there is one big difference....

Adobe and Apple have been true innovators...they have "invented" new
ways to use computers - without them, the world would not be able to
do a lot of the things we do today...we just take for granted some of
their new innovations...

But Microsoft is different...They have not been innovators. They have
simply been good business men, and in one way or the other, they have
taken other groups' innovations, and then mass-marketed those new
ideas.

So there is a big difference...

I believe in acknowledging the contributions that Adobe has made.
They have been generous to us, and by releasing their source code for
Adobe Acrobat PDF format, they have opened this remarkable innovation
to the rest of the world - and for that I say a great big "Thank you"!