forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3354  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann
Date:  Sun May 7, 2000  8:15 pm
Subject:  Re: rotation movement -DGS numbers

Hi again,

this afternoon I spent a lot of time preparing new SW texts for my friends.
Thanks to your lesson I rewrote the numbers from 1 to 20

Another problem occured - so - I would like to present this issue numbers
DGS -SW

1. What about eleven ? Is there anywhere an arrow for axial movement that
circles only 45 ° ?
The beginning position : hand parallel to the floor; back of the hand up -
axial movement - endposition : back of the hand faces the right side-wall
(as I wrote in the SW -file)

2. As you can see I took the arrow (ö - key- German keyboard) underneath -
hopefully most people would accept that?

3. There are different possibilities how to use the circle -forward arrows.
Itīs perhaps more a question of design (possibly not ??) but - is it ok -
the way I wrote the circles (left- right hand ?)

4. Another way to sign 20, 30 , 40 ... is to close the fingers two times at
the middle-joints
I tried to express this with the two dots .

5. Is there anything you would ask me to write in another way?

Thank you very much.

Stefan ;-)

Ps We started at school with writing SW by hand. Hopefully next week Iīll
present a little report and some original handwritten examples. Itīs a
completely new experience to all of us. We do realize that we use our
expressive possibilities sooooo differently. We look at each other very
carefully. We collect the different signs for birthday, friend or tomorrow
.... We realize that my Deaf pupils never ever before formulated their
contributions , their ideas in such a monitored way. Funny to see our
shaking hands - when we start over and over again to try "natural signing "
.. Just sign as you feel ..donīt worry about accurat DGS- grammar Thatīs
not so easy - especially if there are others sitting around with their
pencils at hands and prepared to write down what they see ... or what they
believed was signed ???
So it comes to a completely new issue - we never thought about before. In
order to write a message to somebody else - we have to understand first what
we try to write. Some of my pupils are fluent signers - but feel not secure
in DGS grammar. Writing SW helps all of us to view the differences between
the two languages. I `m confident that this will improve the expressive
skills as well German.