forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3370  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stuart Thiessen
Date:  Mon May 8, 2000  9:59 pm
Subject:  Re: SW in Databases

At 17:08 05/08/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>On Mon, 8 May 2000, Stuart Thiessen wrote:
>
> > Using Perl and Perl/Tk, you could come up with a program that could
> > store the spoken language, meaning, etc. as text and SW as an image.
>
> So you would have to store the "meaning" in a spoken language?

SMILE so I wasn't very precise in my message SMILE What I meant was if
desired, fields could be added to explain meaning. If the goal is a
dictionary that could be searchable, etc. then why not have a field or two
that can reference meaning as well. For example, if we are defining
"bear", we could have a field definition such as:

bear, aslbear.gif, "A mammal that takes walks, finds little girls, and eats
porridge", aslbear_def.gif

where we have two gif's that represent the sign itself and the definition
of that sign in the signed language. There would be a corresponding entry
for the spoken language giving the word and its definition in the spoken
language. That was the concept.

> It's fairly easy to read in a SGML file into a set of Perl arrays
>and use Perl's sort() function.

I was pretty sure Perl could do it, but I am still learning what Perl can
and cannot do.