forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3373  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue May 9, 2000  2:19 am
Subject:  Re: SW in Databases

At 6:34 PM -0400 5/8/00, Bill Reese wrote:

>So, I'm thinking... how far can a record go in a simple comma-delimited
>database? If memory serves me right, were talking a finite number of
>characters - so the database would be inherently limited.

SignWriting List
May 8, 2000

Thank you, guys, for your excellent discussion of SW in databases.
All your messages are valuable to me and I am saving them in a
special file to refer to later, when I start my tiny experiment.

Years ago I succeeded at creating a "look-up system" using nothing
but SignWriting symbols, by using the internal ID numbers for each
symbol. And I did this in an ordinary database program. So I think if
I focus on this, it just might happen....and I suspect the Unicode
development that is going on simultaneously, with our work with
Michael Everson, will be very helpful too.

The month of May is quite full. But this summer, I hope to try a
small database, plus work on the editing of the "SignWriting in Deaf
Education Documentary" video from Albuquerque. Maybe by Fall we can
have a small working database on the SignBank web site...it will be
worth a try.

And hopefully a brand new video too!

So thanks once again, and if you all can think of anything else I
should know, please post it to the List. Then, when I get started on
it, I can share with you, and I am sure that will stimulate more
discussion!