forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3404  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu May 11, 2000  5:58 pm
Subject:  Re: Questions Rotation Symbols

At 12:33 PM -0400 5/11/00, Wayne Smith wrote:
> "less0065.gif" raises a question in my mind. In talking about
>Norwegian "u", you show the handshape as being vertical (in that there
>is no break at the fingers), yet you indicate that the arm is parallel
>with the floor during the twisting movement (there is just one central
>line as opposed to two and the twisting movements have double stems).
>Isn't this a contradiction, or is this how one notates things that are
>actually at a 45o angle?
> Confused,
> - Wayne

SignWriting List
May 11, 2000

Ok. Take a look at this E-Lesson on the web:

https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/less035.html

At the bottom of that page you will see the Norwegian "U" described.

If you still have questions, of course write again.

Essentially, the hand starts parallel to the wall plane, and by the
nature of the movement symbol, has no choice but to dip down to do
the movement parallel with the floor. Just as in the sign in ASL for
BAD, the hand starts parallel with the chest, but then dips down
parallel to the floor to do the rotation...so the movement symbol
encompasses the plane change as well.