forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3454  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Bill Reese
Date:  Thu May 25, 2000  4:07 pm
Subject:  Re: Lessons In Sign Language Transcription

Val,

The first thing that came to my mind was that you might have exceeded some
quota established by your web page server. Whether is be a size limitation
(megabyte limit) or an upload quota.

The second thing that came to mind is that you have two different versions -
old and new. Perhaps if you were to delete all files from your web site first
before adding the new, it might work. There may be name conflicts - one file
having the same name not being allowed to overwrite an existing file - or
something like that. Only do this if you have the fully constructed web site
on your Mac.

You might also try uploading one file at a time. If that works then, there may
be a problem with the way that the whole web site is being uploaded. Perhaps
there's a problem with one of the files. I'm not familiar with Macs anymore
but if you can, try checking the validity of the files.

If uploading one file works, try uploading a few files at a time.

Bill

Valerie Sutton wrote:

> At 1:16 PM +0900 5/24/00, Mark Penner wrote:
> >Whoops! I was supposed to do the first TWO signs??!! Glad I stopped when I
> >did. I was off line for a while, and then didn't take the time to read all
> >the posts carefully. Sorry for the confusion.
>
> SignWriting List
> May 24, 2000
>
> No confusion at all, Mark. Your posting was fine and I look forward
> to working with you all.
>
> I have a small dilemma right now. Unfortunately, while I was
> uploading our web site today, which is really large...
>
> There are over 300 articles, but actually the number of web pages is
> 804! With 2,448 files and 1,624 images...
>
> Well - the "sob story" is this:
>
> In the middle of the upload today, all of a sudden it refused to FTP
> (upload). And now, no matter what I do, no matter what program I try
> to upload with...I get an error message and it refuses to FTP.
>
> I have never had that happen before. The sad part to this is that it
> uploaded the new site half-way, so up on the web right now is half of
> the old and half of the new...that means that the icons on some pages
> are broken up on the web and many illustrations are missing because I
> cannot FTP to fix it - I am horribly frustrated.
>
> Although I would hope this will get resolved soon, I hope you all
> understand. I feel tired and need a few days to get my life together
> again!
>
> So gosh - I will be thrilled when I can say I have the web site up
> and running smoothly again -
>
> Any ideas from the technicians on the List about not being able to
> FTP anything? I upgraded to system 9 recently on the Mac, and got a
> new modem...all of those factors may have contributed...
>
> Meanwhile, I surely hope everyone will keep SignWriting to each other
> and help each other - sometimes my shoulders are just too small....
>
> Best -
> --
>
> Val ;-)

> Valerie Sutton
>

> SignWritingSite:
> https://www.SignWriting.org

> SignWriting List Archives:
> https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

  Replies Author Date
3456 Lessons in web design :-))) Valerie Sutton Thu  5/25/2000

  Message 3454  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index