forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3487  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stuart Thiessen
Date:  Tue May 30, 2000  3:27 pm
Subject:  Re: Hello

Deaf Missions is actually translating the Bible into ASL from the original
Greek and Hebrew. Personally, I wouldn't want a translation based on the
NIV or the KJV because it would be a secondhand translation. It is always
better to translate from the original languages whenever possible. I can't
come up with any specific examples off the top of my head, but each
language has its own ways of communicating information. There may be
situations where ASL can capture the Greek or Hebrew better than
English. But if we translate from English, we only capture what English
can capture. So ... that is why I am glad Deaf Missions is doing their
translation. I just wish I could convince them to also offer their material
in SW.

Who knows? Maybe as SW grows in influence as it appears to be doing step
by step, that will eventually happen.

Thanks,

Stuart