forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3507  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Linda Erickson
Date:  Sat Jun 3, 2000  8:53 am
Subject:  Re: Chami

Hi Nancy,
Thank you so much for sharing with me.
You have been through alot. But your making it and living a happier life it
seems. I am so tickled pink.
Thank you for sharing about signing infront of lindsey even though we are
not talking to her. How that makes so much sence. Yes.
Now, when I am at Bible Study, Church, I have already been working on
signing most of the songs we sing.
I have also recently purchased a board maker and last Sunday for childrens
church made a story of pictures with signing to go along with the story for
that day.
Usually, during the study and church, Lindsey is playing with JR ( another
little child) or working on crafts that I have prepared.
And when we do prayer, I always sign to her. I don't know all the signs,
but I work on it all the time.
There is so much I want to do for her, teach her, but I am teaching myself
aslo. It is quite a sacrifice a times, to commit my whole time to her to
meet her needs. (Sometimes I get selfish and just want some time for me.)
But, that too is getting better the more I become aware of each situation
and so on.....
Its hard work a times learning a new language. One that will always be on
going. I wish we had classes where I live, but there are none. Our favorite
Interpreter that would occassionally come out from Anchorage- just moved to
another country to become the Infant Learning Deaf Ed Director.
And our friends don't really keep up with it.
The kids always want to know the sign for no. Like tonight at Bible study a
little boy asked how to say no, and I looked at him and said I did not want
to teach him, because Lindsey HATES it when all kids do is say no to her. I
am sick and tired of it too. How ould they like to be said no to all the
time. And I've brought that up to some in a loving way, jusyt to help them
be aware. (But this little boy we never met before and whjo knows if we'll
see him again!)-Can you tell I get frustrated with that one.
Well, you could always move here, We are in desperate need of an
Interpreter(s). We have 4 deaf children and only 1 Interpreter.
1-907-842-5634 is the fax number to the school district. (I don't really
know if they have an TTY?) Just incase you wanted to check that out.-
Well, we will chat again over the weekend.
I look forward to our next conversation.
Warmly,
Lindsey's mama-Linda
-----
> From: Nancy Cole
> To: SignWriting List
> Subject: Re: Chami
> Date: Friday, June 02, 2000 7:13 AM
>
> Hi again,
>
> It was really great hearing from you again. I love reading from the sign
> list, and it's wonderful to hear from our parents of Deaf/HH children.
> That's funny about you living in Alaska, because I wanted to work there
for
> the Deaf Institute. I found out they use a Bilingual approach, and I
really
> want to be apart of that. Our school program is moving so slow, and I
find
> it difficult to team teach with teachers who use SEE (Signing Exact
English).
> I team teach alot better with hearing teachers in a normal classroom,
with
> my students. I might be doing that next year for 1/2 day. There is such
> diversity (some good some bad) at our school, and the Deaf students are
> always left out of things, and I'm hoping for a change. But I received a
job
> application from Anchorage, Alaska, and I've still not filled it out. I
have
> 3 kids and haven't decided how I would move them and where we could
possibly
> stay. I have just started using Sign Writing with my students, but it
> incorporates Bilingual Education, while using ASL the native language of
the
> Deaf in promoting English literacy. I teach English as a second language
for
> my students, but I never use SEE to explain it which I have seen in the
K-2
> classes. I feel comfortable explain English grammar in ASL. For my
students
> this is a first, and SW is helping so much!
>
> Ok, alittle about myself. I wasn't born Deaf, but Hard of
Hearing....that's
> what I say because even though my hearing was severe enough to not
understand
> speech I had parents that didn't sign, and I never knew there were any
Deaf.
> I thought I was not normal. I learned written English through the help
of my
> Father, and that goes for Speech too. I only speak directly using my
voice
> to my Parents and to my kids who are hearing. I find myself very
embarrassed
> using my voice in public situations, and it doesn't feel like I am
talking
> without my hands. I got so tired of people giving me funny looks and
asking
> my kids "what did she say?" So, I'm more comfortable using pencil and
paper
> communication or interpreter. I didn't meet any Deaf until I was around
12
> years old. I was extremely surprised to meet another Deaf girl, and I
was
> excited. But my parents did not want anything to do with sign language
or
> it's Deaf members, so I didn't see her for long. It wasn't until I was
25
> years old and with a very young baby girl that I needed to do something
with
> my life. At home my daughter and I used home signs. My parents who have
> given up on speech therapy have resorted to using out tty to communicate
with
> each other or pencil and paper. We also have a good friend of my Dad's
that
> knows alittle sign, so he comes over when I do. They have realized that
sign
> language was important, but now feel it is too late for them to learn. I
am
> 36 years old and just now finding out about my parents, like having and
Aunt
> and Uncle whom I never knew exsisted! I just met them last week. So, as
my
> daughter was growing older I wanted to go back to school and become a
> Teacher. Her real father had left us when she was about a year old.
> Anyways, I met another interpreter who had a Deaf husband. I became
actively
> involved into the Deaf community in Belen, NM, and learned ASL from them
and
> also from classes at the university. I met my present husband from Deaf
> Camp, and he was very helpful. Richard my husband was born Deaf, also
has
> usher's syndrome (vision difficulties-nice word to say haha I can't think
of
> how to explain it, and different story). He grew up in the Deaf
Institute in