forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3529  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann
Date:  Mon Jun 5, 2000  8:35 pm
Subject:  Re: Sign Languages in Switzerland

Hi Valerie, Michael and Everyone ,

Valerie wrote:

> At 4:16 PM +0100 6/5/00, Michael Everson wrote:
>
> >Also, is Swiss-German Sign Language related to German Sign Language in
any
> >particular way? And is Swiss-French Sign Language related to French Sign
> >Language in any particular way?
>

> SignWriting List
> June 5, 2000
>
> Hi Michael and Everyone -
>
> My understanding is that Swiss-German Sign Language and German Sign
> Language (DGS) are two very different languages. The reason I assume
> that is because both regions are translating our "Lessons In
> SignWriting Textbook".
>
> In Germany, Stefan Woehrmann is translating the book into German Sign
> Language (DGS).

Wouldnīt that be wonderfull ? I guess that would be the first one written in
Sign Language (SW) -
but Iīm sorry Valerie. Right now Iīm sooooo busy to write day by day new
materials for my pupils and to add new words/signs to our dictionary that
there is no chance.
But who knows. As soon as more Deaf adults get interested in SW we should
enlarge the DGS parts - at least we will start to write complete little
stories - just as the Parkhursts did in their excellent Spanish
SignoEscritura - Book .

> In Switzerland, Penny Boyes Braem, and her team at the
> Forschungszentrum fuer Gebaerdensprache, in Basel and Zurich, are
> translating the book into Swiss-German Sign Language.

Hello Penny - how are you doing with your project. Havenīt heard anything
for a looooooong time !

> Both books will also be in the German spoken language, but their Sign
> illustrations have to be different, because the Sign Languages are
> different...
> --
Itīs funny to write a sign FATHER and to read it as BASEL !! We will have
to look for signs that are used in both languages - but there are a lot
differences .

YES !!!

Stefan ;-)

  Replies Author Date
3530 Re: Sign Languages in Switzerland Valerie Sutton Mon  6/5/2000

  Message 3529  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index