forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3533  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Jun 6, 2000  1:48 pm
Subject:  Re: Lessons In Sign Language Transcription

SignWriting List
June 6, 2000

Sign Language Transcription

Question:
At 2:59 PM -0700 5/15/00, Stefan Woehrmann wrote:

>First problem - when I tried to express that the one hand is over
>the other hand i used the surface symbols - is that OK? I would
>like to add the second thick line for the hip - but then you
>couldnīt see the shapeof the hands exactly?

Answer:
Thank you for your question, Stefan. I can see you tried to write
with great detail, and as always you do an excellent job thinking
through all the symbols you have learned ;-)

I have attached a .GIF, which shows the position of the body,
captured in a photo from the video. To the right of the photo, I have
placed the way Stefan wrote the position.

The Surface Symbols are very detailed symbols that are not generally
used. One of the reasons I never included them in the Lessons In
SignWriting Textbook is because I did not want people using them when
they are not necessary. For certain classifiers they are necessary....

In this case, the signer is clearly very relaxed and his handshapes
are unimportant, just as long as you can show that the one hand is on
top of the other and that the two hands are "grasping each other".

So I will now prepare a .GIF showing the way I would write that
position, and the logic behind why ;-)

Attachment
scribe011.gif
Type: image/gif

  Message 3533  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index