forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3532  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann
Date:  Tue Jun 6, 2000  1:51 pm
Subject:  Re: Sign Languages in Switzerland

Valerie wrote : "

But do you agree with me that Swiss-German Sign Language and German
Sign Language are two different languages, right?

Or are they similar Sign Languages?

For example, could your students use the textbook in Swiss-German
Sign Language with no confusion? "

Iīm no expert on the different Sign Languages. When I visited Penny and her
team at Basel I tried to explain the basics of SW using DGS.
But when we started to write the first signs for their dictionary I realized
that DGS and the Sign-Language they used are different languages. You are
right.

Well - I guess that my students couldnīt use their textbook. On the other
hand that would help me to learn lots of Swiss - Sign . Language (depending
on the dialect they use )

Stefan ;-)

  Message 3532  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index