forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3567  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Jun 13, 2000  1:27 pm
Subject:  Re: Face Direction Lines

On 6/12/00, Wayne Smith wrote:
>Valerie -
> It looks like these face direction lines are from the receptive
>viewpoint, rather than the expressive viewpoint. Shouldn't they be
>turned around?
> - Wayne

SignWriting List
June 13, 2000

Hi Wayne and Everyone!
Yes, clearly the diagrams I showed you are in the Receptive Mode, and
there is no problem writing them in the Expressive Mode. Just reverse
them obviously.

I can tell this has been confusing for all of you. You see, I am
teaching a course on the web that is starting from scratch. I am
showing people how I started inventing the system by transcribing
videos in the Receptive Mode.

After I complete teaching the next lesson on Head Positions and Head
Movement (since our signer on the video nodded his head before he
started to sign), then I am planning to show how the writing can be
viewed from ANY viewpoint, and I will finish in the Expressive Mode.
From there we will remain in the Expressive Mode, analyzing the signs
you have already written.

Here is my plan for the lessons online:

COURSE 6:
LESSONS IN SIGN LANGUAGE TRANSCRIPTION
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/transcribe/transcribe.html

Introduction
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/transcribe/scribe000.html

Lesson 1: Getting Started
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/transcribe/scribe003.html

Lesson 2: Head Positions & Movements
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/transcribe/scribe003.html

Lesson 3: Writing From Different Viewpoints
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/transcribe/scribe003.html

Lesson 4: Writing Your First Sign Frame by Frame