forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3636  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun Jun 25, 2000  7:58 pm
Subject:  Re: SignWriting can inspire speech....

At 3:42 PM -0400 6/25/00, Nancy Cole wrote:
>I think many teachers focus too much on speech. That can be a problem.
>Myself am Deaf, and when I use my voice people look at me like I'm an idiot,
>but when I write, I write well and I'm on the same level. My father emphazed
>alot on speech, and though my parents understand me very well, it's the
>outside world that has difficulty. It's an embarrassment to many Deaf not to
>speak well. I think the purpose in surviving in the hearing world is that we
>understand and communicate well with each other and writing is a very
>valuable tool. Speech can be, but for Deaf who have never heard words, it's
>kinda silly.

>Nancy Cole
>Las Cruces, NM

SignWriting List
June 25, 2000

Hello Nancy! Glad you wrote this message.

Of course SignWriting is a way to write Sign Language, and it has
nothing to do with speech. That is why I was surprised when I read
that it might inspire speech....

So please don't think I am saying I want Deaf people to speak (grin)
- That is totally up to each individual.

I love writing signed languages, and that is the purpose of the
SignWriting List, is to discuss writing signs -

So I appreciate your input.

By the way, I hope you can come to the seminar in July? I know it
might be hard for you, but I am crossing my fingers that I will get
to meet you in person ;-)

My best to you and your children -

https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

  Message 3636  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index