forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3673  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Jun 28, 2000  4:17 pm
Subject:  Lessons In Transcription: 2nd Sign

SignWriting List
June 28, 2000

Dear SW List members, and Joe, Stefan, Wayne and Mark:

Regarding the second sign on the video:

Joe Martin wrote:
>> 2nd sign:
>> Wow, a lot of different spellings :-) I noticed the arm movement, but
>> thought it was unneccesary to write it as it seemed more a consequence of
>> the wrist moving--so I didn't write it.

Val's comment:

Actually Joe, I am astonished how close all five spellings are. You
are right that there are differences. But there are also many
similarities....

Attached is a diagram of the second sign on the video. Notice how
four out of five chose to write head movement. I feel the head
movement is important because the head went together with the
movement, finishing down, when the wrist movement finished down.

Notice how three people chose spread fingers, and two chose fingers
together - Interesting! I actually started with relaxed bent fingers,
which looks a little like a claw, but then I decided that detail was
probably just a signing style so I did straight fingers....

But what really is important is that all of you who wrote head
movement, eliminated the Shoulder Line.

That was what I wanted to show you - how the Facial Circle, in this
case the Head, can replace the Shoulder Line to show location, and
this fact seems to be natural for you....so no lessons are needed -
ha!

Attachment
scribesign2.gif
Type: image/gif

  Message 3673  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index