forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3691  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Jun 30, 2000  1:19 am
Subject:  Re: standardized spellings

At 7:51 PM +0200 6/29/00, Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
>I think we should distinguish between two things:
>
>a) - writing and spelling movements that describe signs of a special SL
>b) - writing and spelling movements

SignWriting List
June 29, 2000

Hello Everyone, and Stefan!

Thanks for this great comment.

Yes. You are right...

This....

a) - writing and spelling movements that describe signs of a special SL

.....is called "SignWriting".

This....

b) - writing and spelling movements

....is called "Sutton Movement Writing".

But having said that, do not take these terms too fanatically,
because there are several ways of approaching SignWriting...it can be
written phonetically or phonemically...but it is definitely based on
signs from specific signed languages.

And it will take generations before specific spellings will evolve in
each respective signed language.

As a movement notator, I have never personally ever written a
document directly in a signed language - I only transcribe what
others say because I am not a teacher of signing, nor am I a native
signer...but others who know a signed language are writing
SignWriting, not Movement Writing - gets complex, doesn't it?!!
smile..

https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

  Message 3691  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index