forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3715  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Jul 1, 2000  4:32 am
Subject:  Re: Getting Started

At 11:53 PM -0400 6/30/00, Robin Homesley wrote:
I'm reading all of these e-mails, and I must say "Wow, I'm glad
people do understand this !!" I'm having trouble getting organized
to learn SW. Also, I'm trying to copy information for what to order
for the school system (but I need something in print to show my
administrators), but having problems knowing what to get first and
how to go about this. Any advice on how to go about this ? I would
really like to understand more about what I am doing before I
implement this with any of my students. Thanks !!!

SignWriting List
June 30, 2000

Hi Robin -
Of course you are always welcome to write to me privately about your
situation with your students.

Here is general information for anyone who wishes to learn SignWriting....

Regarding publications to get you started....

Go to this web page:

SignWriting Catalog
https://www.SignWriting.org/catalog/catalog.html

and read about:

1. SignWriting Membership
https://www.SignWriting.org/catalog/member/member.html

2. Video Series: Lessons In SignWriting
https://www.SignWriting.org/catalog/sw119.html

3. Textbook: Lessons In SignWriting
https://www.SignWriting.org/catalog/sw120.html

4. Download SignWriter Shareware
https://www.SignWriting.org/catalog/sw128.html

You can order online.

You can also take courses online for free:

Go to this web page:

SW Lessons Directory
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/lessons.html

and start with:

Course 1: Lessons In SignWriting
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/lessonsw/lessonsw.html

then go to:

Course 3: Learn To Read ASL in SignWriting
https://www.SignWriting.org/lessons/readasl/readasl.html

If you are a teacher of Deaf children, you may want to join the
Literacy Project:

The SignWriting Literacy Project
FREE TO SCHOOLS FOR THE DEAF

The SignWriting Literacy Project is pioneering a new concept in Deaf
Education. SignWriting books, videos and software are donated to
classes of Deaf students. In return, teachers, students and parents
provide documented feedback. The results are published on the
SignWriting Web Site and in an annual SignWriting Literacy Project
Report, distributed to educators.

SignWriting is a way to read, write and type any signed language. All
materials donated to the schools are written in American Sign
Language (ASL), authored by Deaf native ASL signers. The SignWriting
videos are taught in ASL with English voice-over. Fluency in reading
and writing American Sign Language is used as a bridge to teach
written English. Although this is a new project, feedback is already
coming in, and the results are positive.

The project began in 1998. Below are some sample web pages about one
participating school.

Would you like your school to participate? Your students must be Deaf
and use Sign Language. One teacher must be online, so they can
receive technical support through email.

Write for more information:

The SignWriting Literacy Project
The DAC, Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting
P.O. Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
Voice(858)456-0098...TTY(858)456-0010...Fax(858)456-0020
Email:
Web: https://www.SignWriting.org

An example of one participating school:

Albuquerque Public Schools
SignWriting Literacy Project
https://www.SignWriting.org/usa/albuquerque/albuqu.html

  Message 3715  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index