forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3716  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Joe Martin
Date:  Sat Jul 1, 2000  4:55 am
Subject:  wh-questions

Message 2748 in the archives has a gif of the ASL sentence meaning
"what is your name" written in the signWriting script. It shows raised
eyebrows accompanying the sentence. I am confused by this.

ASL--and I believe other signed Languages as well---raises the eyebrows to
indicate a question that can be answered with a Yes or No
However for other types of questions--ones that must be answered by giving
information--the brows are lowered rather than raised. (in English we call
these Wh-questions)
So the rule is; Yes-No--brows up; Wh--brows down.

For this sentence then the brows should be down, not up as shown. I can
kind of see it being signed either way, I guess. I have wondered what
other people think about this.

Joe Martin, Plain Old Ordinary Student
Top Left Corner USA

  Replies Author Date
3724 Re: wh-questions Stefan Woehrmann Sat  7/1/2000
3730 Re: wh-questions Ingvild Roald Sun  7/2/2000

  Message 3716  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index