forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3752  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Wed Jul 5, 2000  3:17 pm
Subject:  Re: Lucky

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Valerie Sutton wrote:

> Below I have attached a GIF. I believe the first sign at the top was
> yours? Below are my two guesses as what you might want. I do not know
> your sign, so I do not know if you want it to rotate towards your body
> (the sign bottom left), or away from your body (the sign bottom
> right).

It would be rotating away from the signer's body, so the bottom
right sign would be the best.

> But their is an irony to all this...you had once said you were not
> sure standardized spellings were necessary. And this is an example as
> to why some people want standardized spellings - because they don't
> want to have to learn those darned rotation symbols! They want someone
> else to write them for them - ha!

That definitely seems to be what's going on. But there will
always be signs that aren't in the dictionary - regional signs, slang,
intricate classifier descriptions, etc. And it's not a good idea for
people to continue going through a spoken-language intermediary (the
dictionary) indefinitely.

Eventually, people will have to learn all the details of creating
SignWriting. I'll bet that part of the difference between us writing
signs and writing spoken-language words is that we learned to write spoken
languages as children. Probably those children that are learning
SignWriting right now, like Fernando and Irina, will have less
difficulty...

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

Attachment
lucky2.gif
Type: IMAGE/gif

  Message 3752  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index