forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3872  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Bill Reese
Date:  Wed Aug 23, 2000  1:47 pm
Subject:  Re: Pledge Alligiance in SW

Angus,

When you left out "under God", you returned the pledge to it's pre-1954 form.
;-)

"Under God" was added by Congress in 1954 at President Eisenhower's urging.

A short history at the britannica site:
https://www.britannica.com/seo/p/pledge-of-allegiance-to-the-flag-of-the-united-s\
tates-of-america/

This pledge is also spoken at other places than the schools. I found it to be
in conflict with another allegiance so I stopped reciting it. A person can
only have one master. Be careful which you chose. ;-)

Bill Reese