forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3897  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Aug 26, 2000  8:46 pm
Subject:  Re: SW Teacher's Seminar, July 2000

On 8/24/00, Cecilia Flood wrote:
>Even after two and half months of summer vacation, some of our
>SignWriting learners can still 'read' SignWriting. While I was in a
>secondary classroom, 4th & 5th graders, I typed the words of the English
>writing lesson that was put on the board using the signwriter. There
>were at least seven SW questions typed on a page. Examples: Can a girl
>read?,Can a boy read?, Can elephants read? etc. Monica and Danny read
>each one without the slightest hesitation. You can see and feel their
>great pleasure in being able to read a whole page of written text.

SignWriting List
August 26, 2000

Cecilia and Everyone -
Thanks for this great input -

Yes...Reading SignWriting is easy enough that it is not forgotten,
and can even be achieved by some with little training - and that is
encouraging because it makes it possible for new teachers, who feel
insecure, to get involved anyway.

Since their students will be reading quickly...the writing can come
later and will become more natural in time...which should put less
stress on new teachers to get started....

https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

  Message 3897  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index