forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4209  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Nov 15, 2000  3:46 pm
Subject:  Re: SignNet, Everyone, please look at this ;-))

On 11/15/00, joe martin wrote:
>So, if the palm was facing *directly away* from me, then fingers
>pointing to the right means it is my right hand? These are fingers
>that are actually not visible; fingers that I could show using the
>little dots/circles if I chose to. joe, student.

SignWriting List
November 15, 2000

Joe - Thanks for this great question. Although position number 5 is
supposed to mean the fingers pointing straight forward (away from
you)....it sure doesn't look like it, does it?!!

Nor does position number 1 look like fingers are pointing back
towards the chest either - that is the very reason why we are having
this conversation!

And I would love to use dots with number 1 and 5, but the problem is
that some handshapes cannot be read as quickly by children with
dots...and some can...each handshape is a "case by case" basis -

That is why I so strongly feel that we should be relaxed about this.
Each sign must be written intuitively, and each sign cannot be boxed
into one way of writing...the reason SignWriting works, is because it
is intutitive...I generally choose to use numbers 2, 3 or 4 the most,
because they are "relating to the center of the body", where signs
tend to focus...but others may choose differently - and that is the
way it has to be...Others are welcome to write up their lists and
rules...and I look forward to sharing with them...I will also write
up my ideas, and hopefully post it on the web in the next month or
so...

Attachment
Five-Palms-3.gif
Type: image/gif

4213 Palm Facing example: ASL sign for "photo"... Valerie Sutton Wed  11/15/2000

  Message 4209  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index